Monday, August 30, 2010

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?


Around Christmas time I like to buy those gingerbread house kits. They sell them everywhere, and they are a lot easier than making a gingerbread house from scratch. I'll admit it, I suck at baking. If it doesn't come in a box or a can, I'm clueless. The last time I attempted to make bread it had a rock hard crust, and the inside tasted and felt something like a bath sponge. So anyway, these kits help me out a lot.


So last year, we went to the Discovery Center and saw posters for a gingerbread house contest. The kids were excited, so I told them we could figure it out. I am pretty artistic, so I thought maybe if their mom could just help me make the gingerbread, I could assemble and decorate the thing. So we went to the front counter to get more information, and I realized this might be a little harder than I thought. They were doing a TV and movie theme, and the next day was the last day to turn in contest entries. The one thing that did save my butt though, is that they were only to be judged on appearance. I could have made the thing with toilet water for all they cared. The receptionist even suggested graham crackers.


The kids were all hyped up on the free candy canes they got at the museum and had about a million ideas of what we could make. It came down to Spider Man, Sponge Bob, or Word World. We decided on Sponge Bob because he is square, therefore we figured, much easier to make out of gingerbread.

We went right to the grocery store and as we walked in, passed a display of boxed gingerbread kits. That's when it hit me. We could buy the kit, and use the pieces to create a Sponge Bob! With a little fancy knife work, some extra frosting, and some leftover Halloween candy, this is what we came up with. His pants are kit kats! Pretty cute, huh?
We didn't win the contest, but at least we did better than graham crackers, and we were very proud to stand next to our Sponge Bob!

No comments:

Post a Comment