Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fabric Paint


One year for Father's day, we decided to make a tee-shirt, bag and hat. you could make these for someone special any time of year though. The white smudges are where I took out the names. The bag, hat, shirt, stamps, and fabric paints were all from the craft store. The hardest part about this craft is keeping the fabric paint on the intended fabric. I always strip the kids down when using non-washable paints, or have older kids put on an old shirt or a smock. Before diving in with the paints, you'll want to make sure to have a piece of card board in the bag and shirt to keep the paints from bleeding through. We started with the hand prints, then I did the writing, and then the kids did the stamps, with my help. This isn't just one of those things where you can set the kids loose with the paint and stamps. You really have to work with one child at a time and hold their hand while they're stamping. I'm all for creative expression, but I'm not about ruining anything with fabric paint. Believe me, it's hard to get off of any surface...protect yourself! The hat gets a little tricky with the stamps. You have to put your hand inside the had and make a flat surface under where the stamp is going. Overall this wasn't too difficult and I think it turned out to be a really cute gift. Oh yeah, don't wait until the last minute like I tend to do. The paint takes 24 hours to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment