Friday, August 27, 2010

Five Dollar Father's Day

This was cheapest holiday craft ever! I went to the dollar store and saw these wooden plaques two for a dollar. They were really ugly and had the most horrible pea green, baby poop ribbons. They were just the right size for hand prints though, so I grabbed them and held onto them. Next time I was at the dollar store I saw bags of little wooden letters. I figured I could use them for something, so I grabbed a bag. Then I went back to the dollar store again and found wood paint and glaze two for a dollar. I bought a couple dollars worth knowing I'd use them for something. When I brought the paint home and started checking out my supplies, I found the plaques and letters and knew just what I was going to do.
First I had the kids paint the plaques a solid color. Then they chose a different color (we also had some left overs from a previous project) to paint the letters of their name and their hand prints. We made the hand prints, glued on their names, and glazed the whole thing to make it shiny and beautiful. I switched out the ugly ribbon for some nice ribbon I already had, and ended up with a really cute, but really cheap father's day gift! These would also be perfect for mother's day, and you could easily stencil on the kid's names if you couldn't find any little wooden letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment